This has NEVER been a question for me. The answer and undisputed result is always TO CAKE! Well that all changed about a month ago, when after various meetings with docs and herbalists, acupuncturists and nutritionists (not for any worrisome disease, just to increase my energy and previously-weak immune system) my word-on-the-street became no SUGAR…then to add insult to injury, my parents recommended the Esselstyn* diet (no meat, no sugar, no dairy, no caffeine, no nuts, no oil) for a heart-healthy and cancer-free lifestyle. Yuri jumped aboard the heart-healthy idea and we were off….
- no meat (nothing with a face or mother - that includes fish n bugs)
- no dairy (bye bye cheeses i will miss you :(!)
- no oil (including coconut, flax, fish, etc… supposedly *good for you* not so much, no avacados :( — if no current heart disease avocado in moderation)
- no sugar (the liver - and heart of cholesterol production - must filter this)
- no caffeine (spikes energy, overall not good for you - you’ve seen the spiderwebs on caffeine’d out arachnids right - yikes!)
- and lastly no nuts (bye bye peanut butter, adios almonds! - caveat walnuts are ok in moderation if you don’t currently have heart disease)
…which means we can eat NOTHING!!! Not true, we have an amazing smorgasbord of veggies, grains (whole) and fruits - yum tastic and we have been experimenting with pizzas, salads, soups, sandwiches and even, dare-I-say-it CAKE!!
My birthday was this past Monday and I was disheartened at the thought of a cake-free day, but my clever man and chef’ly husband created an oil/dairy/sugar/nut-free cake and it was AMAZING! So here is the recipe for this tasty treat:
CHARMING CREATION CARROT CAKE
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or cloves and nutmeg mixed)
- 1/4 cup powdered soy milk OR liquid oat milk (Pacific Brand is oil free :) if you use powder keep in this section, liquid in liquids)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (if no heart disease)
- 1/4 cup raisins (or currants if you prefer)
MIX ALL THESE TOGETHER
- 2 egg-replacer equivalent (we used ENER G brand, powdered potato starches)
- 1 cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural applesauce
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 8oz can of crushed pineapple
MIX THE LIQUIDS TOGETHER AND ADD DRY INGREDIENTS - Mix well.
FLOUR a pan - we used a BUNDT cake pan cause it is pretty!
BAKE at 375 UNTIL DONE (we kept checking it) around 40-45 minutes :)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (we cheated for flavor w coconut - you can use oat milk)
- 2 1/2 coconut sugar (no need if no coconut - use more crushed date sugar)
- 2 tablespoons date sugar (crushed dates) or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 8-12oz package of whipped tofu (we cheated and used Trader Joe’s cream-cheese-less spread, but there is small amount of oil in it - if going hard-core no-oil - use a 13and1/4 oz box of extra firm tofu, add small pinch salt, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice and a dash more maple syrup)
PUT ALL in BLENDER and mix to taste - you may want more date sugar or coconut sugar… there is also maple sugar (dried maple syrup) you can use - to get perfect flavor
ICE YOUR CAKE AND DEVOUR!
And luckily the answer still remains…. TO CAKE!!! :)
I hope you enjoy my bountiful birthday cake as much as I do, I shared with friends who aren’t on my edible path and they enjoyed it too! Great for diabetics since low glycemic index and depending on tolerance you can alter the flour (rice, gluten free, etc…) so everyone can enjoy heart-healthy and vigorously viable treats! :)